There is no easy way through Separation or Divorce but with a little thought and planning, you can make things a little easier. Here are 5 ways to help you through:
- Stay out of court! If at all possible, try to keep your separation or divorce proceedings out of the courtroom by exploring all the alternatives such as mediation or collaborative family law. It costs more to go to court, the process takes longer and the legal system doesn’t always take children’s needs into account as fully as it should.
- Get good advice. Getting the right legal advice is vital and can not only help you stay out of court but it also means you have the support you need to guide you through the process. A good family lawyer will ensure you get a good result for yourself and your children.
- Help your children through the process. The adverse effects on children can be minimised if you are proactive about this and if they have access to both parents throughout. Click here for some practical tips on achieving this.
- Forget Business as Usual. Don’t try to go on as if nothing has changed – cut yourself some slack, drop non-essential commitments and slow down. Remind yourself that you have done the hardest part in making the decision to separate. It’s easy to become overwhelmed and isolated during a family break-up because you find it difficult to discuss it with joint friends or with your own relatives. You don’t have to ask friends to take sides but do let them know what is happening so they can offer support…and accept the help they offer.
- Access the support services which are out there. There are a range of agencies and organisations in Ireland which offer support to you and your children at this time. Click here for details.